OK next question: Tugging on ham. rail chek lost motion

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Feb 11 07:20:57 MST 2008

I am regulating right now an old upright action with new key tops, bushings,
key pins, hammers, ecsaine on the hammer butts, etc. The hammers were
bobbling and I couldn't figure out why as there was adequate after touch.
But on some notes it didn't matter where I put the back check, it wouldn't
catch. It turned out to be multiple problems.

I hadn't changed the bridle straps because they were fairly new. But the
previous tech had glued in tapes with no cork into the catcher hole. He did
it so the tape came out and was glued to the top of the hole. That position
alone caused problems with interference with the catcher and it was
compounded by the little bit of glue on the tape sticking out causing it to
be a little stiffer. This little bit of stiffness was actually pushing the
back check away. I think if the tape had come out the bottom of the hole the
problem would have gone away. But no matter. I'm redoing them all, of
course. I don't understand why anyone going to the trouble of gluing on
tapes wouldn't go ahead and glue them to the underside of the catcher dowel
instead of the hole.

The second problem I spotted was on some of the notes the felt on the front
side of the jack was jamming against the felt on the back side of the bottom
of the catcher hole. That second piece of felt had been replaced, no doubt
by the previous tech, and it appears to be too large and too firm. I see no
need to have it both pieces. There is no other rail in the way for the jack
to contact.

Sometimes it's not just that the beast is old and worn, but you have to
watch out for previous modifications.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272