Meet the "Lookerson's"

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 09:08:26 MST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 9:45 PM, <pianolady50 at peoplepc.com> wrote:

>  When confronted with noisy or curious young children I ask if they would
> like to help me for a little bit.  I show them what key to play and how hard
> (loud) to play it while I tune it for them.  They are intrigued and thrilled
> to help for about three notes.  Then they get bored and leave the room so
> they won't have to help anymore.
>
> One such child's father was intimidating just to talk with.  He was a
> government profiler.  I always felt like I was under a magnifying glass.
>
> Debbie Legg

I don't mind those who have a genuine interest, I can go on and on, I enjoy
my subject and don't mind educating my customers. I keep a close eye on them
for that tell-tale glaze in their eye that tells me they aren't all "that"
interested anymore.

As for the kids that want to watch, I'm concerned about them getting into my
tools and perhaps grabbing something sharp, so with mom or dad's help we
make a rule that they can watch from the sofa or chair and usually whithin
10 to 15 minutes they're either asleep or wander away.
I always tell 'em up front that it's just as interesting to watch as
watching grass grow or paint dry!

I can't recall the last time I was intimidated or irritated at having anyone
listen/watch while I tuned as long as they were quiet.

Mike

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com