tuning next to feathered lookersons-a soulution

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Mon Feb 11 11:13:55 MST 2008

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com  wrote:

>I refuse to tune with parakeets in the room, they screech and squawk as you
tune and the louder you are, the louder they get. I ask that they move them
to another room or cover them.
I did tune for a customer with a large gray parrot in a cage right next to
the piano, the customer wasn't home and every little bit the parrot would
give out with a loud squawk. I saw nothing in sight to cover it with, I had
no work number for the customer so I had to just live with it!

Mike

When we moved to Vancouver, WA from Santa Cruz, CA, our piano mover of 30 years was getting married.  He invited us to his wedding and asked us to house-sit and care for Snoopy, his white rat-terrier dog, from whom he had never been separated--even for a few hours--since the dog was born, and Buddy, his red-blue Macaw.  Snoopy spent the entire honeymoon, staring at the front door until his eyes couldn't stay open any longer and his head fell down--asleep on the top of the couch, watching the door.

Buddy, the huge parrot, was well behaved--Rick told us the secret: a spray bottle of water.  Whenever Buddy would sqawk loudly, even the sight of the spray bottle would stop him for a moment.  A brief spritz would work for much longer..........  (Only you gotta be sure the spray bottle doesn't have Protek in it--or worse--just use plain water.)

Diane Hofstetter