String breakage with Pure Sound

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Feb 11 14:50:45 MST 2008

Hi folks

I have one piano in use that utilizes pure sound wire exclusively. And I
am experiencing quite a bit of string breakage where I nearly never
experience it with usual wire.  Its always at the tuning pin or at the
loop.  Never at the front termination.

I used double german loops for the treble, and copied the original
french loop for the bass.  In the bass the loops break... and in the
higher treble I'm experiencing lots of breakage at the coil on the
tuning pin... lowest coil just as it winds away from the pin it looks like.

Any good explanation for this ?  Tension for the scale puts things well
below the safety margin for breaking %.

Cheers
RicB