String breakage with Pure Sound

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 15:47:55 MST 2008

At 22:50 +0100 11/2/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>I have one piano in use that utilizes pure sound wire exclusively.
>And I am experiencing quite a bit of string breakage where I nearly
>never experience it with usual wire...
>
>Any good explanation for this ?  Tension for the scale puts things
>well below the safety margin for breaking %.

The good explanation is almost certainly that you are believing the
advertised tensile strength of the wire, which, as I have suggested
before in this connexion, is more imaginary than likely.  I don't use
the stuff myself and have no plans to, but most pianos of the period
for which PS is supposedly recommended so far as I recall, require
far stronger wire.

Give one or two examples of strings that have broken : the length,
the frequency and the gauge of the wire used and let's have a look at
the question.  If a string breaks at the English eye (at the point of
the "tear-drop") then the cause is almost always excessive tension.

JD