String breakage with Pure Sound

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 12 02:20:13 MST 2008

I'll have to measure the bass strings as the scale was modified a bit by
the string maker... tho I can measure if you like.  However in the high
treble here is one example at anyrate.   G83 is size 13 PS wire and just
barely over 60 mm long. It failed when the pitch of the piano was up to
436-437.  Both calculations using formulas I have, and PS table put
breaking percent at under 55% in this instance.

Cheers
RicB

    Give one or two examples of strings that have broken : the length,
    the frequency and the gauge of the wire used and let's have a look at
    the question.  If a string breaks at the English eye (at the point of
    the "tear-drop") then the cause is almost always excessive tension.

    JD