Soundboard stiffness variances

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 22:10:47 MST 2008

Ok
  Lets' do it.  I challenge you to do this.  Find 2 , 36 inch long sections
of 1/4 sawn sound board  spruce...approx. 6 inches wide .I.e. as if it were cut
right out of a  panel.  Dry one of them down to 3.5 % emc & the other to
about 6% emc.  Glue on a flat rib/bar with typical dimensions of what you might
find on a sound  board of that cross section. Even scallop out the ends as is
usual. Now  while dried down, glue on the rib on a flat table top. Now  give it
three days in 50% plus humidity conditions & then tell me a few  points of
moisture content don't' make a difference. One will be far more bowed  than the
other.
 The power of wood cells in compression is enormous &  it will produce much
stiffness on it's own when its' restrained from expanding  on one side.  enough
so as to bend a flat pine/spruce rib which is pretty  dang stiff all on it's
own.
  I think that because the American climate may be so  different from parts
of Europe, & that sound board making techniques have  adapted to them as well,
that our semantics & experiences may be  missing each other like ships in the
night.
  Regards
  Dale

Let's test the properties of spruce over the range of dampness to
which it will be subjected and then see how significant the change  is.

JD

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357