Mark-up (was Steinway parts)

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Feb 13 09:06:53 MST 2008

The world can surely accommodate more than one business
model.  Before we make the mistake of assuming that there is only one
kind of client base, realize (as I'm sure you do) that we're just
talking about which column to list that "padding" under. (Like what
Dave Love just said) The decision would be based upon our own
organizational sense, as well as taking into account what the
particular customer base finds more acceptable.  And it would all be
moot unless you're talking about how this information is presented to
a client. (unless you want to debate the ethics of profit.  I
don't.). Assuming that a particular price is not out of reach for
that client, is there a meaningful difference if that price is
comprised of a higher parts price and lower hourly price, or in
reverse?  Similarly, what do you suppose the difference in client
response would be if the material costs, including mark-up, were
clearly spelled out, vs. having this information hidden?

A business that is less service and more sales oriented will
obviously be more dependent upon the profit derived from larger
mark-up.  The confusion perhaps derives from the difference in kinds
of materials subject to mark-up.  Parts for a rebuild vs. a bench or
metronome.  Also, it may not always be reasonable to mark-up by a
fixed percentage.  For example, even allowing for the rationality of
concept, why should there be a difference in the actual mark-up
amount between two similar items, one of whose price is already inflated?

David Skolnik  RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY