Predictability of Compression Crowning: was Soundboard stiffnessvariances

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 09:46:15 MST 2008

Huh?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:32 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Predictability of Compression Crowning: was Soundboard
stiffnessvariances

To repeat.

Steinway & Sons, New York and Hamburg, make no attempt at normalizing
structural strength factors of wood with the intent of minimalizing
resultant differences in sound from panel to panel. Given their basic
philosophy that these exact differences are a positive... I dont see why
anyone should expect them to.

The fact they Steinway chooses not to attempt to do this however, by no
means speaks to whether it is possible or not to do so.
Cheers
RicB

    I would guess that the Hamburg Steinway factory goes to great
    lengths--as
    much as anyone--to control the EMC at glue up.  While I agree this is
    anecdotal and doesn't constitute a comprehensive study, it does
    speak to the
    issue of variability in panel response to compression style crowning
    and/or
    the difficulty in environmental control during manufacturing.  If I
    am not
    mistaken, these boards are hybrids and have crowned ribs as well
    suggesting
    that while, presumably, there is less reliance on panel compression, one
    still can't escape it in this particular method.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com