Predictability of Compression Crowning: was Soundboard stiffnessvariances

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 13 11:58:41 MST 2008

The direct repeat was from the following post:
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-February/217575.html Which in
turn was a response to your reply to this following post :
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-February/217558.html

Your replies indicated you understood the drift of these two posts...
indeed in one you even suggested that RC&S designers have the
possibility of normalizing differences in rib strengths if this was seen
as a desirable... so I don't really see where the "Huh ?"  comes from now.

Cheers
RicB

    Huh?

    David Love

        To repeat.

        Steinway & Sons, New York and Hamburg, make no attempt at
        normalizing
        structural strength factors of wood with the intent of minimalizing
        resultant differences in sound from panel to panel. Given their
        basic
        philosophy that these exact differences are a positive... I dont
        see why
        anyone should expect them to.

        The fact they Steinway chooses not to attempt to do this
        however, by no
        means speaks to whether it is possible or not to do so.
        Cheers
        RicB