basic regulating question

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Wed Feb 13 13:16:52 MST 2008

Hmmm,
You didn't mention capstan adjustment, my first thought, oh yea you did. I assume you mean the amount of escapement, or aftertouch is different. This can be tricky to get right, but is at the core of very high level regulation IMO, keep at it. A very small difference in key dip or capstan adjustment or let off or key height or hammer bore distance or hammer filing or or or or can make a difference, maddening isn't it. Start with dead level keys, precise dip and capstan adjustment, and work from there, if you have the patience. Old uprights are going to give you fits if you want everything to come out to spec. The butt leather is usually worn so setting lost motion is all over the place. Chucking keys and everything else is conspiring against you.
Fenton