basic regulating question

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Feb 14 11:41:31 MST 2008

Good post.

My question is always "what feels good to the player?" The answer, in
key travel, seems  to be somewhere between 10 and 10.5mm. I'm here
completely to serve the player...starting with me, and working
outward. This is, for me, where real joy resides.

Yesterday I had the transcendental pleasure of hearing a stunning
young jazz/Latin/world music artist, Otmaro Ruiz (www.otmaroruiz.com)
play the remarkable Steingraeber 232, a new 7'7" piano that is just
stunning, and that I have for sale at the Atelier. It's one of the
most mysterious, deep, resonant, and precise instruments I've ever
heard or felt. This man made it come alive in a way I can't express.
He is a treasure. The people in the room, all four of us, were
crying. A forever moment; cascades of effortless, brilliant, warm,
emotional sound. Every note was heard in beautiful clarity and
context. One of the many compelling reasons for me selling
Steingraebers is their repeated idealization of my favorite action
parameters one of which is a 10.2-10.3mm key travel with a fine,
crisp notch, or aftertouch feel.

When Otmaro was done---he was running to the final graphic design
session for his upcoming CD release---he stood up, bowed deeply to
the piano, then to me. Thrilling.

There's a huge cornucopia of piano work in the United States and the
whole developed world...billions of people and endless trillions of
dollars. The challenge is being good enough to literally blow people
away with your work. Then, and ONLY then, the phone will never stop
ringing.

Best,
David Andersen
P.S. I can find a whole hell of a lot to do to almost every working
or older piano that takes all of 12 hours. Certainly the vast
majority of even good pianos in this country are sold and installed
right out of the box, with a tuning only. They ALL need setup. Really.
Fight the myth and bullshit. Fight the doubt. Bring the truth. All
pianos are machines. All pianos need setup, then whole-system
maintenance.
Forever.

Don't listen to me; listen to Willis Snyder legendary mentor,
teacher, tuner, technician, rebuilder, giver:

		"Always aim for the high end."