basic regulating question

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:57:03 MST 2008

I see it the other way round. I never regulate aftertouch but first at all key height and key dip. For me, key dip is not negotiable in the meaning of having a window of 9.5 to 10.5 mm but of course for *all* keys the same. At least for the white keys. I accept small differences for the black keys.

What do you mean by regulating aftertouch? How do you do that? For me, aftertouch is not a measure to regulate but the result of all the other regulating steps. If aftertouch is uneven, I correct it with slight adjustments of let-off, but never of white key dip (that is what I mean by *not negotiable*).

Some other points of this whole discussion struck me: amount of time needed for regulation and removing hammer rest rail. Someone wrote about 8 to 12 hours. What the hell do you folks do in that time: chatting with the customer? :-) I feel 2 to 4 hours is more than enough time (4 if you do really much on key height and dip). Concerning hammer rest rail: I can´t remember ever having removed it for regulating. Why do you do that?

Gregor

From: mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.comTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: basic regulating questionDate: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:06:45 -0500

Have you regulated aftertouch? First make sure your lost motion is right, your blow distance is even, let-off is even and then regulate aftertouch.

I guess I don't really even think about all the individual steps to action regulation anymore. Maybe I should. But one thing I really never do is "regulate" key dip - I mean I do check dip on a number of keys to be sure I am about where I want it, but I don't check all keys to make sure dip is exactly the same. The pianist will sense an irregular aftertouch much more readily than a few thousandths of an inch difference in dip. And if blow is equal and lost motion is even and aftertouch is even, then dip is going to be quite even automatically.

But then again, I don't consider myself to be an action regulation expert!

Back to cuttin' & bendin' some Sitka and Sugar Maple!

Terry Farrell