Valuing ourselves

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Feb 13 23:12:53 MST 2008

Thanks, bud, for your reasoned reply...I'm just thinkin'....are you
tuning pianos for less than $100? Hope not. Anyway, let's say you do
four appointments a day, and each appointment averages $125, with
pitch raises, little tweaks and whatnot. That's $500. Times four days
a week equals $2000. Or---3 pianos a day @ $125=$375. Times a five-
day workweek is $1875. Plus one tuning on Saturday
makes a cool two grand. Is that way, way far off? Or---look at it
another way. What's your hourly rate? I hope it's at least $65 an
hour, and I hope you work 30 billable hours a week if you're working
full time; that's $1950. Are those numbers too high for your area?
What does  the highest priced guy in your area get for a tuning and
for an hourly rate?
> Hey man, I still love ya and all.
Right back at ya, bubba.
>  Don't think I'm mad atcha just 'cause I disagree.  You gotta
> remember ... we're on the right coast and all.  It's different.
> Cost of living is way different too.
Completely understood; I'd love a correction if my figures are way off.

Real life example and I'll quit.  I just got back from my dentist to
have a cavity filled.  Cost was $58.00.  Now, my dentist is on the
low end, but a high end price might be a bit less than $100.00.
What's it cost out your way?
For amalgam (mercury)---the cheapest---it's around $125.00 at a good
dentist; for composite, which is not deadly poison---what a concept---
and is actually chemically and electromagnetically neutral, which
biological dentists think is crucial, is $175-200.
Jus' tran ta heyup, y'all.....
DA