Valuing ourselves

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:03:04 MST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 10:14 AM, David Andersen <david at davidandersenpianos.com>
wrote:

> I've been an acolyte of Ed Foote in the business realm for about 10 years
> because he KNOWS what he's worth, and raises his rates EVERY SINGLE TIME he
> needs to, usually every 18 months. He's been in the top 1/2 of 1% of earners
> in this craft for 30 years.

Agreed.  He gives out top-notch advice about business pricing and business
growth.

GO TO THE HIGH END AND STAY THERE. Really. Quit bitching and complaining
> about competition and taxes and driving and cheap clients, and not enough
> money to go to conventions. If you're a highly trained, honest, professional
> craftsperson and you're not making $2,000 a week, it's you---you have a
> diminished perception of yourself and your worth, and other people are
> picking up on and responding to that.

Disagree somewhat, David.  I know it might be hard for you to imagine ...
living in beautiful Cali and all ...  but there are other places that are
way different than California.  <grin>   And it's different when you live in
a big city.

Here in rural Mississippi, I think it would be quite difficult for a local
piano tech to make that kind of money.  Yes, it's possible.  But who would
want to work that much to earn that kind of money?  A person would need to
work 6+ days a week, and long hours every day to consistently earn that
amount.  There is so much more to life than money anyway.  To me, it's just
not worth that much input to get that much output.

> End of mad soliloquy. Out of breath. Must.....rest........

Hey man, I still love ya and all.  Don't think I'm mad atcha just 'cause I
disagree.  You gotta remember ... we're on the right coast and all.  It's
different.  Cost of living is way different too.

Real life example and I'll quit.  I just got back from my dentist to have a
cavity filled.  Cost was $58.00.  Now, my dentist is on the low end, but a
high end price might be a bit less than $100.00.  What's it cost out your
way?

--
JF

www.formsma.blogspot.com