What would you charge to repace a 1911 Steinway upright action and regulate ???

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 03:12:31 MST 2008

Thump

Don't ask us what we would charge. Ask yourself how much money you?want to make on this thing.

Add up what the?parts will cost you, and double that. Next, estimate how long you think it's going to take you to do all the work,?and double that time. (We always think we can do something faster than we really can). Multiply that?times?your tuning rate. (While you're working on pianos, you can't tune other pianos). Add that to the?retail price of the parts, and you'll have?your figure.

If this is for?a customer, tell him/her how much it is going to be to restore the piano. If he/she accept the contract, you're making money. If he/she doesn't, don't worry about it, because?you'll make money tuning and repairing other pianos. But don't lower your price, because that?will cost you money.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of