What would you charge to repace a 1911 Steinway upright action and regulate ???

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:11:09 MST 2008

Hey there,

I was working for Roger Gable in Everett about 10 years ago and we rebuilt
one of these things.  It's a lot more work than a "normal" action.  Those
double flanges are tricky.  I don't know what he charged the customer, but
add in about 20-30% more time. We also restrung it after re-capping the
bridge.  The old bridge crumbled when we pulled out the old pins.  It
ended up being a pretty good piano and I like it much more than 1098's. I
think you'll like the end result.

Paul

"Prof. Euphonious Thump" <lclgcnp at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/14/2008 11:00 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
What would you charge to repace a 1911 Steinway upright action and
regulate ???

Dear Everybody,
     I've never replaced one of these double-flange
actions, and fully regulated it, and wonder what's the
"going rate" for this  work. ( Using Tokiwa butts and
wippens, Ronsen Wurzen hammers. )
     I'm also curious what y'all would charge to
restring one of these K-52's ??? ( with Larudee
lo-torque pins, Arlege bass strings & MapesIGS wire. )
    The pinblock board and bridges are astonishingly
well preserved, so I'll leave them, but would also
like some suggestions for "livening" the first note
after the tenor/low treble break ( A pretty  "thunky"
note on this piano, even though the bridge is not  cut
out at all for the plate strut to pass over. )
     Thanks!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs