Valuing ourselves

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 15 11:02:10 MST 2008

Been reading many of these posts and really guys... I have a hard time
why so many of you seem to be selling yourself so cheap.  85 bucks for
an hours work ??  Who does that besides piano techs ?  Sounds more
reminiscent of what a contractor might pay some high school kid to do
the yard work he's got as part of some landscaping deal.

I can understand perhaps an inexperienced tuner doing store tunings and
grandma's Best-to-Toss for that kind of money in order to build up
experience... but guys in the business for 25 + years should be ready to
pump up the volume quite a bit.  If you get less work... and make the
same or just a bit more... and have more interesting work in the
process... well hey... thats the idea isn't it ?

My standard price over here is 1150 NOK + 25 % VAT. Thats roughly 210
dollars plus the VAT.  That covers an hour and a half of work.  I have
all the work I can do and more.

One thing I noticed right off the bat a few years back when I finally
decided to stop tuning for peanuts... Interesting customers... the ones
with good pianos who actually care a bit about them and are willing to
take a bit of care for them, choose the guy who charges the most when
they are at all in doubt.

Once you have such a customer.... he/she is yours to loose.  Do a bang
up job of it for those 200 greenbacks and they will most definitely call
you back.  ALTME.

Cheers
RicB