Valuing ourselves

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Feb 15 11:20:48 MST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> One thing I noticed right off the bat a few years back when I
> finally decided to stop tuning for peanuts... Interesting
> customers... the ones with good pianos who actually care a bit
> about them and are willing to take a bit of care for them, choose
> the guy who charges the most when they are at all in doubt.

That's the big, big, problem. Techs can't wrap their mind around the
reality that the clients they really want won't hire them unless they
charge more than the next guy. It's completely true, but we all have
been guilty at one time or another of just flat being afraid of
charging more, and letting that fear stop us. A lot of people don't
push through the fear and value themselves properly. It's a HUGE problem
here in the States with pianotechs.

That's why I'm sure I drive some people nuts yammering on and on
about this, but it's true. We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Best,
DA