soundboard on my 1890's Knabe upright

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 15 14:34:54 MST 2008

That actually was the Thump's comment.

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044

Original message

From: "daniel carlton"

Subject: soundboard on my 1890's Knabe upright

hey techs

i've got a rebuilt (rebuilt 2 or 3 years ago) 1890's Knabe upright. nice warm, woody sound, and it's already been used in a few recordings. i'd like to have it sound nice for many more years. i do have one concern. i've noticed a crack or two in the soundboard, and it bums me out to have a rebuilt, beautifully sounding piano with a crack in the soundboard.

now i did a few shims at nbss on grands we were rebuilding, but never any uprights... and in the following post https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2006-January/184497.html, David Ilvedson says you can't shim from behind.

so my question is can anything be done to fix the cracks?

as always, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

daniel carlton