contraversial basic reguLating

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 14:48:32 MST 2008

Greetings,

       I was taught first to set blow, then adjust all capstans to equal lost
motion then, level keys and then regulate dip. My question always has been:
If I regulate lost motion as the second step then, wont this cause uneveness in
the aftertouch, since the wear/compacting of letoff felts/wippen heels,
punchings in the piano happens mostly in the center? And then adding in the for or
aft balance rail weight!  Also, turning the letoff buttons just a hair on a
worn upright causes the rest of the adjustments to go off (way off sometimes)
because one side of the button felt is worn and the other not. I thought I
learned this, but I am still confused. Good news is that the concept/goal of
desired piano touch outcome gets clearer. Method is still to be afound.

Maybe my understanding of Aftertouch is not right. I understand it to be the
feeling of resistance (like a shelf that 's about to fall) that the player
feels just when the jack is about to flip out..Is that right?

Thanks,
Julia
Reading, PA

Awards. Go to AOL Music.