Brentwood piano has low low keys

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 16:32:38 MST 2008

Julia

I sold Brentwoods for a while back in the mid 90's. Unfortunately, they are terrible pianos. I'm not sure if they are even being made any more. There was no factory quality control, so unless the dealer fixed them, what you see is how the pianos came out of the factory. If the customer is willing to spend the money, you might be about to make it a playable instrument.

First, key height. Don't go by how much balance rail pin is sticking out of the key. Go by key height and?key dip. If the keys are level, and there is enough dip, then there is no need to do anything with them. Also, the keys being low has nothing to do with the jack not hitting the let off buttons. To get the jack tails to hit the let off buttons, you need to move the let off rail to get the jack tail to hit the let off buttons.
?
But there was one adjustment I had to make this is unusual to get the action to play correctly. I'm trying to remember what the problem was, but I wound up putting balance rail cardboard punching between the action brackets and the?wippen rail, to make it move forward. One effect this has, of course, is to center the wippen cushion on the capstan. Perhaps if you make that adjustment, the capstans can be turned down a little.?

Let me know if this helps solve your problems.
??
,?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician