contraversial basic reguLating

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 02:00:22 MST 2008

At 16:48 -0500 15/2/08, KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:

>Maybe my understanding of Aftertouch is not right. I understand it
>to be the feeling of resistance (like a shelf thatÊ's about to
>fall)Êthat the player feels just when the jack is about to flip
>out..Is that right?

That might be a symptom in a grand but there is no such thing in an
upright, which is what you're asking about, because there is no
resistance to the jack escaping from under the notch.

What you are aiming for, whether in a grand or an upright is a touch
depth that will allow the jack to clear the roller as the hammer
falls into check (on a grand, and the jack to be just clear of the
notch leather when the hammer falls into check on an upright.  Any
deeper touch will result in wasted movement, slow repetition and (in
extreme cases on a grand) snap the jack as it is forced into the slap
cushion.

If the touch is deeper than it needs to be on a grand, you will need
to push back the checks and besides, you will get a wrong reading for
the drop, particularly on the Erard/Herz action.  On an upright too
you will need to pull out the checks to compensate for the excessive
touch depth.

There is no fixed value for touch depth -- it depends on the design
of the piano and on the true value you set for the blow, by which I
mean the distance the hammer rests from the strings when sitting on
the capstan.  If a player asks for more touch depth then you have to
increase the blow and for a shallower touch depth reduce the blow and
add or remove washers to suit.

"Lost motion" in an upright is regulated by fine adjustments to the
hammer-rest so that the notch is just clear of the top of the jack
when the system is at rest.

If the butt cushions are in good condition, there will be absolutely
no variation in the ratio of blow to touch-depth through the scale
and no need for some of the suggested methods I have read here.  It
is most important that the butt cushions be in good condition and of
equal thickness throughout the scale, because a worn butt cushion
will change the leverage of the action, giving more movement of the
hammer for a given touch depth.  Wear in other parts, such as the
lever heel, the set-off button are not important at all and will not
prevent proper regulation of the action.  If the butt cushions are
good, the set-off is correct and the blow is correct, it follows that
only one value for touch depth is possible and this will be even
throughout the piano.  When the piano is regulated and checking
evenly throughout, then the checks will be in a perfect line when
they are at rest.  If they are not, then something else is wrong --
either the blow or the touch depth.

Set-off is not a variable quantity.  You determine the set-off that
the piano will handle (anything from 1mm to 3mm if you have no
celeste) and regulate every note the same.

JD