Weighting upright keys question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 18:44:55 MST 2008

>      In general, is installing weights in upright keys a corrective remedy?

Quality uprights have lead in the rear

>  What do weights in an upright corrrect?

Upright keys are front heavy and will impair repetition with the
introduction of friction from humidity.

I routinely install lead on the rear of the white keys primarily to
even the touch weight between them and the sharps. I'll place
a lead in the rear to add 6 grams to the Down Weight.

Upright keys are consistent in weight across to the keyboard so
I'll set the drill press up with a fence and stop to frill for a lead in
the same spot on every key. I'll weigh the FW of one and place
two leads in the rear of notes 1 & 88 to duplicate the FW.

A good way to recycle lead removed from grand keys.

Regards,

Jon Page