[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 16 20:28:03 MST 2008

Too each their own to be sure.  I end up taking probably half as much
time evening out final strike weights this way... so the total increase
in time is not really so much. Then there is the appearance side to this
already talked about.  The less I have to add or take away to the glued
hammer/shank... the more consistent the set looks.

In anycase...  the spreadsheet was provided as an example for anyone who
finds this approach agreeable.

Cheers
RicB

    I do get the idea.  It seems to me it takes a lot more time, that's all.
    You have to weigh the hammers and then the shanks separately and
    then play
    around with trying to match them up.  In the end, some hammer mass
    alteration will be required anyway for those that you can't match to
    get the
    weight you want.  Doing it the way I suggest (and the way I do it) I
    rarely
    have to alter more than about 1/3 of the hammers and often less to get a
    smooth curve.  Just seems like a waste of time.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com