Beautiful Sitka Spruce

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 23:54:05 MST 2008

At the risk of being labeled as building soundboard panels that are not
quite perfectly uniform thickness, I'll share what I do. I plane subpanels
down to final thickness. Then glue up subpanels (usually three or four
subpanels) to make complete panel while paying close attention to edge joint
alignment. I find that I can make most joints within 0.010" misalignment. I
find alignment pretty easy with the panel clamps I am using. I then simply
use a smoothing plane with a slightly rounded blade to remove any trace of
subpanel misalignment. Just a couple fast sweeps of the plane gets anything
that's there.

I spend about ten minutes straightening things up on a panel after glue-up.
Usually, I then give the panel a quick sanding with 240 grit paper.

I mean, isn't that the sort of thing that, in part, gives each hand-crafted
piano its own personality?

Terry Farrell