lubricating V-bar

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Feb 17 10:22:25 MST 2008

Thanks for the suggestions of Protek and 3-in-1 Oil, both of which I had
with me.  I thought WD40 might be slightly better at penetrating, that's
all, but will bear those suggestions in mind in future.

Tom, you mention "Actually I would clean off the plate contact point with a
brass brush and forget the lube".  Yes, absolutely, in any kind of rebuild
or new set of strings situation that would be the thing to do.  But the cost
of loosening and unhitching all the bass strings and reattaching and
retuning them made this not an option here.

With regard to the various comments about "creep" of any lubricant, that was
the point of using a watch oiler, The quanity of lubricant it carries and
imparts is tiny - there simply aren't enough molecules to creep down into
the windings.  The pivots in mechnical watches are absolutely tiny and the
quantity of oil stays put, in a minute "cup" in the watch movement plate
where the pivot hole is.

I did in fact think of using watch oil, of which I still have some; it's of
very high quality and doesn't oxidise, but opted in the end for WD40. Will
certainly think about 3-in-1 or Protek tho for another time.

In the pic you can't really see the tiny spatulate tipis on the watch
oilers.

Best,

David.