=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Au_contraire, _mon_frere, _perhaps_(and_a_rant)_was_Re:_Whole_room_humidity_control_better_than_Dampp_Chaser._(_Right?)?=

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:00:15 MST 2008

Hmm ... this is just an empirical observation, but I'd give the DC a little more credit. I put one in a 1903 Steinway A with some block looseness. That problem went away and now I can hardly keep this nice lady to an annual tuning schedule as it stays fairly even, if not exactly at pitch.

In another case, I put one in a Chick 1/4 that was wildly unstable, though it lived almost by itself in a small bedroom with an old organ, a bookcase, and no other furniture, so there was little to disturb it's environment most of the time. It was sold to another of my customers and I installed a DC. It is now one of the most stable pianos I tune even though it lives in a central foyer area with four doorways and a staircase around it in a draft old farm house!

BTW, neither application has an undercover.

And, while I've got your ear (or, actually, while I've got your eye). I believe undercovers can boost effectiveness a lot but I hate them. I hate putting them in, I hate servicing systems that have them, and, most of all, I think they are absurdly, wildly, grossly, and ridiculously overpriced -- I can't, in good conscience put much of any markup on them. I mean, come on, a couple yards of speaker cloth, some Velcro strips, thumbtacks I never use.

We had a discussion a couple years back about putting in our own materials at a much more reasonable cost to us and the customer. Some argued for it, others that it was violating patents, etc. I'm an honest person and have not done it, but when you take it down to basics, it's just a piece of material stapled to the bottom of a piano, for heaven's sake. I don't think the DC engineers spent a lot of time designing and inventing this "product".

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO