So what is a proper tuning price raise?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 00:24:30 MST 2008

Not to promote it, but in my book I have a chapter on Service Management. One of the sub chapters is called "The Moment of Truth". There comes a time during each appointment when the customer decides whether or not to have you back. We don't know when that moment of truth is, but it could be a little thing, like tightening the bench legs,?(which is good), or?complaining about the kids making too much noise, (which is bad).?Of course all we need to do is?figure out when that moment is, and we'll have it made.?

How much?should you raise your price? A rule of thumb is the cost of living index. It would be better to raise your price 3%?- 5% every 14 months, than to try to catch up every third year with a 10% increase. Why 14 months? So you won't hit your one year customers with a new price every year.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of