So what is a proper tuning price raise?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 17:18:15 MST 2008

Nobody can answer that for you.  You have to decide based on your market.  I
would always include enough in your basic fee to cover at least 15 minutes
more than your average tuning time to include the servicing a few additional
items.  I can tune most regularly serviced pianos in about 30 - 45 minutes
which leaves me the rest of the hour to do additional stuff in my most basic
fee.  I charge for an hour and they get an hour.  If the piano needs more
than that then charge for whatever extra time you need to put it.  Don't
ask, just do what needs to be done and give them the bill.  Asking and
discussing it takes too much time and they often don't understand what
you're talking about anyway.  A full service approach which I also offer
(1.5 hours) leaves for me an additional 45 minutes and I decide what needs
addressing unless they have a specific request.  If the piano has drifted
far enough off pitch to need a pitch raise, I can always do that within the
1.5 hour time frame-usually with something left over.  All first time
customers are scheduled and billed for a full service appointment.  Anyway,
you'll always find something to do so charge enough, whatever your
structure, to give yourself some room.   Then if you have something really
serious that will require another appointment or more time than you've
scheduled, you can book another appointment.  That also keeps you moving
through the day more or less on time from appointment to appointment.  You
shouldn't be charging them an extra nickel to tighten the bench.   If you
charge enough from the outset to cover these kinds of things, they won't
complain.  If you start nickel and diming every time you open your case for
a wrench, they'll feel like you are taking advantage of them.   By the way,
I think the first hour should be more than additional hours-that covers your
costs in getting there.  In my case, the first hour is $160 each additional
hour is $120.  I break it down in 15 minute increments.  You regional
structure will likely be different.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com