How could Beethoven have used the Prinz

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 18 06:13:29 MST 2008

The Prinz temperament is very easy to tune by ear if you start with C:

Tune a pure (or not very wide) Major 3rd C-E.  Fit in the fifths from C-E.
Or start with narrow fifths and see if you like the third, C-E.
Either way, you have some sort of "ordinary" or meantone tuning on this
part.
Then tune pure fifths C-F-etc. When you get around to F#-B-E, you might need
to fudge a few of them to make it all fit.
On a harpsichord or fortepiano this is very easy to do, and will produce a
workable, highly colored well-temperament. The degree of color will depend
on how pure you tune the first Major  3rd C-E.

Tuning like this wouild have been a very common skill for keyboard players
in the 18th century.

Again, if you tune the historic temperaments from C, you'll be amazed how
easy they are to tune....which is, of course, exactly why they were
invented.

Ed Sutton