How could Beethoven have used the Prinz

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 19:23:14 MST 2008

At 08:48 PM 2/16/2008, Ed Foote wrote:
>Julia writes:
>
><<   How could Beethoven have used the Prinz temp? He would have had to
>use that in his later works if it only came about in 1808. Beethoven died in
>1827. He was born in 1770. So as a boy, he was playing on something probably
>developed at least 10 years prior. >>
>
>The Prinz is almost identical to temperaments that were in use around 1750 (
>D'Alembert).  It is not dissimiliar to the Kirnberger III and would easily
>have been in use for years before Beethoven was born.
>Regards,

Ed,

I would add to this that the date a temperament is published is not
necessarily an indication of its initial use. It is quite possible -
in fact likely - that temperaments with similar properties may have
been in use by musicians for many years before some scholar put them
into mathematical terms for publication.

Yes - used by musicians. The professional tuner does not emerge until
the emergence of the higher tensioned, higher tuning-pin-torque
pianos with metal plates. These pianos actually require that a tuning
technique be developed - (you know, setting the pin, stabilizing the
string tension, etc.). The older pianos were no more difficult to
tune than harpsichords - and under most circumstances most musicians
still tuned their own. And if by some chance they heard a temperament
that perhaps struck them as worth exploring - it was no big deal to
figure out how to duplicate it without charts of beat speeds
published in some pamphlet. Or a name attached to it

And I very much suspect that nobody insisted on the sort of
quasi-anal precision of temperament that is the norm today. As long
as a temperament fulfilled the musical requirements (specific color
properties) nobody worried about the precise beat speeds. Which would
explain the phenomenon of very similar temperaments being published
by different people under their own names many years apart. I suspect
that by the time a temperament was published, it has already been
widely known and used.

Which is why I find attempts to determine appropriate temperaments
for particular composers based on their dates of publication a waste
of time. The bottom line is - there is no way to know. As Ed wrote
initially. And yes, it would be obvious that a meantone would not be
used for music that modulates widely...

Israel Stein