Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 07:50:58 MST 2008

Greg,
A wool-felt string-cover alone will protect the
strings against rust.  That has been well
established by grand pianos in (ocean front)
beach-houses with string-covers that have
brand-new looking interiors after decades as
compared to their unprotected neighbors.  Wool
has the natural capacity to buffer humidity and
any sort of cover probably prevents
condensation.  This is the first accessory I recommend.

Add a DC system and undercover and you will then
reduce the sound-board oscillation to negligible
resulting in tunings that last until your next
service.  You get to do a concert level tuning
each time you return to the instrument.

I have two Sauters on the floor here.  They are
fine pianos which are much more stabile than
average.  One has a DC with undercover and the
other has DC with undercover and
string-cover.  The one without the string-cover
is noticeably (to me) affected by the
weather.  The other one hasn't been tuned in a
coon's age and still has a solid tuning on it.

YMMV
Andrew Anderson