Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Feb 18 10:22:06 MST 2008

Hi Terry,

My opinion is equally firm and 100% opposite to yours. Household level
equipment requires far too much of the owner to be useful. Proper Hivac
installations are probably going to cost more than anyone other than the
"ultra rich" are able to afford, and certainly more than the cost of many
"home size" grand pianos.

As I said, it is possible to maintain within 5% but not easy and not cheap.
DC units properly installed (and serviced) are magnificent.

>From a home use point of view a quilted cover may not to be useful as it
need to be opened and/or removed when the instrument is used. String covers
and bottom covers do stay in place 24/7.

I had "state of the art" controls in two music studios in 1980. Each studio
had independent heating, air conditioning, dehumidifier (drain hose in
place), and humidifier (self filling, fed from a reverse osmosis unit). The
humidity controllers were the most expensive part of the system and had
human hair activators, which operated a relay so that the contacts did not
have to deal with the relatively large "start up" surge from the dehumidifier.

As this is a lifetime ago I'm sure controllers are more sophisticated and
have narrower limits, but what I found was that I could not set the "swing"
from dehumidifier cut in and humidifier cut out to a very narrow range, or
both would operate at the same time--with the humidifier winning "hands down".

It was not possible to use the studios with the dehumidifiers on nor with
the air conditioning. Fortunately the climate where I did this has many
more heating months than cooling ones, and more dry months than wet ones.

In another post you mentioned how heat may transfer through the sound board
panel. The same thing is true of humidity. That is why upright pianos with
DC systems installed that have back covers (I recommend 5 mil poly
installed by the client) are about 4 times more stable than those that
don't have a cover.

At 09:54 AM 2/18/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>    I have a very firm opinion that whole  room/house/institution humidity
>control is superior to a standard DC  installation, or even a DC
>installation with bottom and string  covers.    The better the instrument
>is isolated from the room, the  better the DC can perform (undercover,
>string cover, and better yet, a nice  quilted cover with long sides for the
>entire piano - that is used whenever the  piano is not being played).
>is regulated, likely is humidity OUT OF CONTROL.    A room with a Sears
>dehumidifier with a tank that is not  emptied or does not have a
>functioning drain for water discharge or a room with  some crude humidity
>source and likely an even more crude regulatory device (if  any such device
>at all) is humidity OUT OF CONTROL.
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner