Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 07:54:30 MST 2008

I have a very firm opinion that whole room/house/institution humidity control is superior to a standard DC installation, or even a DC installation with bottom and string covers.

Now hold the phone before you clobber me - let me explain! I am also of the opinion that a good DC installation can be very effective for tuning stability and instrument longevity. I have a good DC dehumidifier installation on my personal grand piano at home and the piano pitch and tunigns are rock solid. The better the instrument is isolated from the room, the better the DC can perform (undercover, string cover, and better yet, a nice quilted cover with long sides for the entire piano - that is used whenever the piano is not being played).

That being said, let's address whole room/house/institution humidity control (let me use an acronym - my typing fingers are getting tired - WRHC). IMHO, the key word in this title is "CONTROL". Mist being sprayed onto a piano is humidity OUT OF CONTROL. A humidity source with no regulation is humidity OUT OF CONTROL. A room with a humidity source that is open to other rooms, even if the humidity source is regulated, likely is humidity OUT OF CONTROL.

A room with a Sears dehumidifier with a tank that is not emptied or does not have a functioning drain for water discharge or a room with some crude humidity source and likely an even more crude regulatory device (if any such device at all) is humidity OUT OF CONTROL.

>From a practical standpoint, I agree that in many, if not most, situations, a good DC installation will offer superior performance to "whole room humidity control", but again that is because most WRHC installations are poor at best - and not because HVAC is inherently inferior.

Now consider a "proper" WRHC - and really, I think in most cases, this would be the entire facility - be it an institution or a home. Most proper systems would be automatic. I'm no HVAC expert, but I know it requires proper sealing of the building, proper insulation, proper air movement, proper regulation, etc., etc.

Or, if one is able and willing to manually control humidity levels, it can be done. I keep my shop between about 48% and 58% relative humidity 365 days per year. I use a small basement-type dehumidifier, my wall AC unit, and an accurate relative humidity gauge to manually regulate humidity. If find that here in Florida I don't need to ever add water to my shop environment. If I were located elsewhere, obviously things would become more complicated and perhaps impractical to do manually.

Several examples of proper WRHC would be a good museum (perhaps like the one that houses one of Christifori's pianos), a modern home with a central HVAC system that also has a good regulated dehumidifier and humidifier integral to the system, or something simple like my shop. IMHO, all three of these examples would offer superior environmental control compared to a good DC installation. Now again, I realize that most WRHC installations are crude and ineffective (or even destructive), but to categorically reject WRHC as inferior to a DC installation is, IMHO, incorrect (exercising restraint here).

It's like morphine. Used in a controlled, intelligent (properly regulated) manner, it can be extremely beneficial. Used in an uncontrolled manner, it can be deadly. But to categorically reject its use would be, IMHO, well, you get the idea......

Nuff said.

Terry Farrell