Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 18 09:27:12 MST 2008

Hi, Terry:
    I live in San Diego, and have sold lots of string covers.  I've seen string covers made of synthetic material where the strings were rusted/corroded, and covers made with wool where there's no rust.  It seems to make a difference.  Wool absorbs moisture, and also gives off some by evaporation.  Even in very damp environments, it doesn't get "dripping wet".  If it did, you'd hear complaints how the covers made things worse for the piano.  It provides a barrier.   I almost always suggest a DC system where there is a lot of humidity (right on the ocean).  The proof is (assuming the DC is kept plugged in) that there's no rust  under the cover.   And no dust/dirt either.
    My experience.
    Paul

Paul McCloud
Service Technician for PianoSD.com