knuckle squeeze

tcc440 at netscape.net tcc440 at netscape.net
Mon Feb 18 10:12:53 MST 2008

???? I have waged this battle of action noise from the jack and knuckle for a long time.? There are effective ways of minimizing? extraneous? noise from the action.?? I first had to battle this when Suzuki started installing player systems on their smaller grands.?? The felt? that is on the jack positioner used to be quite hard.?? After I yelled and screamed about that , they changed? to a softer felt.

Here's how you test for this sound:

Slowly play? a note like? middle C.? Do not let the hammer hit the string.? Push the key down to the front tail punching.? Then slowly let it up
Like you were looking for LIFT from the repetition lever.When this occurs the jack snaps back into position. If the felt on the jack is hard? you will feel and hear it.? Then do the same to C88.? Because the note has been played much less, this felt on the jack will not be as compact.? I always replace that felt when I do a grand regulation.? You can needle that felt . It will make a change , but it doesn't last long.

Tom Cobble RPT?? www.thomasccobble.com