Weighting upright keys question

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Feb 18 11:12:15 MST 2008

Bruce,
Looking at the quality of the piano as a means to determining whether or not to spend time re-weighting keys is missing the point IMO. It might just be the better quality uprights that receive this work since they're the ones with the head room to afford it. It's like saying the better quality pianos don't need regulating. I don't think it a stretch to consider key re-weighting to be a part of the regulating process. The determining factor is the current balance weight and consistency there of, or DW, or UW, or whatever you like, I don't want to go there right now. That along with the wishes of the owner. The better pianos will positively fly with detailed attention paid to this and other hot rodding techniques. The lower quality ones usually don't have enough head room to afford it, and if they can you throw on a quick and dirty version of the technique employed on their higher quality brethren. Maybe you meant the better quality piano wouldn't benefit from the quick and dirty stuff I've been talking about. Oh well, Bruce, if we meet we can talk, much better than this email stuff where everyone flies off at the handle.
Truth be told, I don't do much of this on uprights, but I have done a dozen or so with very good results for a fairly small input of time.
With all due respect,
Fenton
The above is the result of a very good cup of coffee on President's Day morn.