Mark-up (was Steinway parts)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 20:59:15 MST 2008

Wasn't meant as sarcasm, sorry you took it that way.  If it's a contract
then you are right not to charge more than the contract states, though I
would hope you have outlined the specifics well enough to not have to
perform non-contracted items for free.  If it's an estimate then it means
just that: i.e. not a specified fixed price but a projection based on your
pre tear down prognosis.  I think it's better to work on most projects as
estimates unless you are contracting to do absolutely everything and leave
no stone unturned.  Most projects, however, are not that way and I would
advise most people to leave room for discovery.  Communication with the
customer is very important here.  But it's sort of like being afraid to ask
for what you actually might perform above and beyond tuning on a service
call.  I've found too many things after the fact that couldn't have been
discovered beforehand to be willing to eat it for the sake of fearing
offending someone.  People always get what they pay for and I don't work for
free, seems like a fair trade.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com