Grand Piano drop scew tool?

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Feb 20 00:32:05 MST 2008

    This brings up one of my main complaints.  After 300 years of the existence of pianos, or at least 100 years of the existence of modern pianos (post-Industrial Revolution) with many metal parts, screws, etc., there are still not available acceptable tools for certain aspects of regulation, namely a dependable, durable, fine-bladed screwdriver with a sleeve encasing the blade so it won't slip off the screw.
    I have fine screwdrivers on which I've thinned the blades, jeweler's screwdrivers (that in some cases are too fine), a screwdriver from Schaff that's supposed to fit drop screws but of course doesn't (the blade needs to be thinned even more, plus they didn't keep the faces of the blade parallel), plus several combination-handle type for the spade-type screws.
    I mean, how long have these drop screws been around, and they still can't come up with a screwdriver that works?  A lot of times the screws haven't been turned in so long, they're "frozen" in the wood and the screw splits or breaks when you try to turn it.  Or you have to press down so hard to keep the tool in the slot, that when it does slip out, you gouge or break another part, sometimes splitting the flange or the shank or gouging your knuckle on the remaining sharp end of the screw.
    The so-called "finder" screwdrivers (with the tubular sleeve) that do exist are WAY too big and clunky.  So you end up having to make your own tool or have one made by a jeweler or machinist.  You'd think the drop screws were just invented last month and nobody has a tool for them yet!!
    The spade-type drop screws are SO much better that it's almost worth replacing the slotted ones with spade-type, just so they can be turned without lacerating your fingers or splitting flanges.  But even then, sometimes old ones are frozen and the tip just twists off.  Like regulating screws (eye screws for let-off), no amount of tapping or heat or Protek or penetrating oil seems to free them up.
    Frustrating, exasperating.  And of course you forgot to try several before quoting the price for regulating.
    But to answer your question:  yes, file down a small screwdriver til it fits, or grind it but don't let it heat up and turn blue, thus losing the temper, or have a jeweler or welder (?) braze the proper size tubing around a fine-bladed screwdriver, and write, e-mail, call or otherwise communicate to suppliers to come up with one or two or three different types that actually work.
    [Don't get me started on certain back-check benders, spoon benders, and a few other tools that are s'posed to work but don't, as though the piano just came about a few months ago and we don't quite have the right tools for them yet.]
    --David Nereson, RPT