Mark-up (was Steinway parts)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 07:18:30 MST 2008

Not intending to be mean spirited, just clear.  Those who read this may very
will be trying to determine how to set up their own business with respect to
this kind of work and exactly how this is done can be the difference between
profit and loss or whether you continue to pursue these aspects of piano
work.  It’s an important topic and the business aspect is certainly one I
hope is addressed in piano technology schools.

I’m not really taking about nickels and dimes but things can come up that
really do cost and really are hidden.  The language of the contract (and the
discussion) needs to take care of this and is important.  It needs to be
specific: X dollars for X work and itemize and be specific.  That way if you
need to add something in it’s clear that it wasn’t included in the original
estimate.  Skill as a communicator in such circumstances is important.

The overestimate comment was really directed at Ed’s input.  What I meant
there was that one approach is to simply estimate high enough to cover all
contingencies and then deliver a lower bill if it comes in under.  I don’t
prefer to do it that way.

I don’t discount my tunings but I contract for a specific amount of time.
If it takes me a bit longer for the service because I was a bit slower, I
don’t charge more.  I always err on the side of giving more, which isn’t to
say that I’m willing to give substantial amounts of work away for free.
Mistakes I make, of course, I expect to correct at my own expense.

I agree with not trying to get involved in competitive bidding.  I don’t.
That’s also why I charge to inspect and put together an estimate/proposal.
If they want to use that for competitive bidding at least they’ve paid me
for it.  If they end up going with me to do the work they get to deduct that
fee from the deposit.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com