Hand Plane Chatter

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Feb 20 13:11:17 MST 2008

  Question for the wood chomping gurus out there.

  I have a hand plane that has a propensity to "chatter" in use.
  Terry Farrell
Don't know that I can offer much, Terry, but these compass planes often have chatter issues.  They are a (designedly) light plane that is generally only capable of rather light passes.  One other thing you might consider (though you probably already have) is a heavier blade.  I can't tell from your photo, but if the stock blade is in the neighborhood of 1/16", you might try upgrading to something like this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42607&cat=1,41182,43698&ap=1
 or this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32692&cat=1,41182,43698&ap=1

worth considering,
William R. Monroe

BTW, next Friday I'll be arriving in your neck of the woods for a week.  Flying in to Sarasota for a week of golf, beach, and vacation.