CF carbon fiber lever

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 00:50:16 MST 2008

At 21:09 -0600 21/2/08, John Formsma wrote:

>For me, it's worth the money for the weight reduction.  If you're OK
>with the Jahn's weight, then keep using it...

Hold on! Let's look at some numbers:

Jahn's weight for the 45.35.20, favoured by factory tuners, is 260 grams.

"Stimmhammer - light
Da dieser Stimmhammer sehr leicht und handlich ist - nur 260g und
280mm - wird er gerne von Stimmern in der Produktion eingesetzt.
Verstärkte Ecke mit 5°Winkel
Einsatz Ø 6,75-7,15 mm, 30 mm lang"

The _average_ weight of the hammers shown at the Faulk site (all of
them having an aluminium elbow) is 262 grams, heavier than the Jahn.
Of the six shown, only the pearwood and sycamore are lighter than the
Jahn and the others are considerably heavier.

As to the Fujan, to make the 11" lever with a 5° elbow brings the
weight to 262 grams

Head Assembly (with 5 degree angle)	65 g
Basic Tube, 7-3/8" (makes 11" Lever)	98 g
Handle Assembly (with Rosewood Knob)	83 g
Watanabe Tuning Tip: 1", size #2	21 g

This is also heavier than the Jahn.

I would also be very doubtful of the longevity of any thread cut in aluminium.

Put a less dense wood handle on the Jahn and it looks to me as if you
have a hammer that is lighter than any of the others.

JD