CF carbon fiber lever

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:09:47 MST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:08 PM, AlliedPianoCraft <
AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I finally gave up my 43 year old tuning hammer and have been using a Jahn
> top of the line tuning lever for about a year and a half now. It wasn't
> because I'm frugal, It's just that I never thought about changing it. The
> stiffness compared to my old hammer made it so much easier to feel and set
> the pin.  Now I reading all this talk about  the Fujan and Faulk and how
> much stiffer they are. Are they $200 to $300 better? and if so, which one is
> better? It was a big change from my old hammer. Would it be that much of a
> change again with these?

For me, it's worth the money for the weight reduction.  If you're OK with
the Jahn's weight, then keep using it.  I could tell a difference with the
stiffness of the Fujan.  It is stiffer.  But then so is the price on the
wallet. <g>

My experience with levers has been in this order: 1) Old Hale, 2) Jahn
extension, 3) Fujan I, 4) Fujan II.  I was able to sell my old levers, but
at the point have spent so much on levers that I'm stopping.  Until there is
one that is demonstrably better.

It boils down to this:  a professional tuner is able to tune well with any
quality lever.  It's getting used to the feel of it.  Once you know what
your lever is telling you, you can be a master with it.   Some are better
than others, and some transmit feeling better than others.  But you can tune
well with any of them.

You can make your own with a steel pipe attached to a Jahn (or other) head
that will perform as well as any other lever out there.  But it will be
heavier than some, and light may be worth having.  It's a matter of $215 -
$325 for the CF ones, or less than $50 for the homemade ones.

--
JF