Tuning lever length

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Feb 23 06:11:28 MST 2008

Now here Bruce went to a great deal of trouble to start a new thread with a
proper label on tuning lever length and it has been shanghaied into a
discussion on jerks and smoothies.

Since I wasn't trained as an apprentice but am mostly self taught, I've had
to develop a technique that worked for me. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten
lots of help along the way from some great people. I did attend a tuning
seminar put on by the Lexington PTG chapter in the mid 80's and I have
gotten input from other tuners I respect over the years.

I find that my technique is very similar to Jon's below and Terry Farrell's
methods. I like to feel the pin move and if I am impacting it with the
hammer I can't feel it, I have to rely on memory muscle that a certain
impact will produce a given change for a given tightness of pin. Now when
faced with overly tight pins I am sometimes forced to move towards slapping
the pin with my hammer or impacting it. Then I'm a jerk.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802