OT - Sensory Overload

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 23 21:50:22 MST 2008

> My audiologist finds me quite fun to work with as hearing  impaired,
> because in the areas where I hear, I'll tell her to adjust a sound band
> oh, 3 db.  If she goes to 5, and sometimes even to 4, I know it and tell
> her it's wrong.   Yet I am significnatly impaired, and have to wear
> hearing aids..........  It's weird.
> les b

It is weird, and it's the same sort of thing with sight.
Growing up with working sensory equipment, we get little
indication of how incredibly thorough and sophisticated the
background processing of these systems really is. When the
automatic stuff eventually doesn't deliver like it used to,
and we have to much less adequately devote CPU cycles to what
used to be effortless peripherals functions, we begin to
recognize to some small degree the fantastic systems with
which we perceive our surroundings, and how dependent we are
on their continued function. We each inhabit, albeit
temporarily, an utterly amazing machine - home made, non
warranteed, intermittently functional, and wholly miraculous
in a cosmic trailer park kind of way. Meanwhile, we ante up,
take the draw, play the hand, and try to enjoy the evening.
Ron N