Pitch sensitivity was : OT - Sensory Overload

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 24 03:26:06 MST 2008

Hi Michelle

I'd generalize my answer by saying that if whatever sensitivity you have
in the end inhibits your abilities to enjoy what you sense, or inhibit
your abilities to carry out various functions life requires of you...
then I'd put it in the category of being a handicap.

I've come to view extreme cases of pitch sensitivity as such... so
called perfect pitch or absolute pitch as its sometimes called. Basic
tone recognition may be an advantage in some musical instance or
another... but those who find themselves irritated that a given tone is
less then 1 cent away from where their pitch memory tells them it should
be have got far more of a problem then anything else IMHO.

To what degree one can learn to overcome such over sensitiveness...
indeed to learn to utilize it to ones advantage.... I do not know.

Cheers
RicB

    I started thinking about our group of piano technicians and
    wondering if our
    sensitive ears are a blessing as well as a curse.  Do any of you
    fall into
    the sensory overload category?

    Michelle Smith