Ivers & Pond BG

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Feb 24 08:25:55 MST 2008

Part of why I was so wired in my response on sensory overload last night was
due to just returning from playing for a Scottish Country dance (all
acoustic, thank goodness <g>).  And before the dance, I spent several hours
pitch-raising and tuning the hall's early-last-century I&P grand.

I don't know much about this piano except that "some guy" rebuilt it.  I
could see that he replaced the hammers/dampers and repinned and restrung it,
although he either didn't replace the pinblock or he drilled it really
badly.  I didn't have time to pull the action, so I can't say much more than
that.  It was out of regulation, but still fairly playable.  Structurally,
all looked acceptable.

The tone of the piano was very strange, however, and I'm hopeful that
someone can enlighten me on that.  (Yes, I know it's an unfair question.)
The tone was very "bong-y", but not the sound of hard hammers.  It reminded
me of a guitar with overly-bright strings or maybe a spinet with decent
hammers.   I continuously had the impression that everything was an octave
low, although the strings were tuned to correct pitch.  Is this the sound of
wrong-size strings?  Or some sort of soundboard problem that I haven't run
into before?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Dean, you are one lucky guy!  Sounds like a great morning at your house.

Annie G.