Waterbound

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 14:25:32 MST 2008

At 11:58 -0600 24/2/08, Annie Grieshop wrote:

>So, water's bound to come in.  And the question is:  how can I best protect
>the instruments and still be able to get the water out of there?  I have two
>dollies, but I'm also looking for more ideas.  Much as I hope none of y'all
>has ever been faced with this kind of problem, I suspect at least a couple
>of you have.  What did you do and how did it work out?

I sympathize, Annie, since I have had, and still have plenty of
problems with my new workshop, which is a converted silo 30 ft. round
on two levels, all done by the farmer to the highest agricultural
standards!  The water problems are now just about fixed and the
condensation problems upstairs will be fixed next month.

Downstairs I have a plain concrete floor, which ought to have been
covered properly before I moved in in July but since I'd been
promised it would be ready in March, I was in a hurry to get out of
limbo, so we now need to lay the floor (which will be a coated beech
ply made by the same firm that makes Delignit) with all the pianos
machinery etc. in situ.

I bought a load of cheap 4" nylon casters on eBay and I've had the
welder make up a simple square frame in 20x40mm rectangular hollow
section.  I have two casters on each about 5" from the end.  Each
piano has two of these, one at each end.  I'll take a picture.  So
far the welder's lad has only made one and I need to get a price and
make some quality observations before getting them to go ahead and
make about 20 of them.  The casters were about $4 apiece and the
frames ought not to cost more than $10, so for about $20 per trolley
I should have a cheap and convenient way to get the pianos (whether
grand or upright) mobile.  For uprights they're also useful when
French-polishing the sides, toes and pedal rail.

JD