Need info on a couple of tools

Eric D. alowd at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 14:53:09 MST 2008

Friends,

This is my first post to the list although I’ve been a lurker for quite some time. I must say that I’m appreciative to all those that share their knowledge. I’ve had questions about various aspects of piano technology answered simply by reading the archives and there are a few members whose posts I automatically read simply because their answers are so insightful, well written, and full of information.

Anyway, to the point—I recently purchased a few old tools from someone here in town, and would like to get some get some feedback on a couple of them. The first tool is a pair of pliers made by Sargent that obviously appear to be for voicing hammers(shown in the photos labeled "voicingpliers"). Do any of you own and use a tool like this, and if so, how do you properly use them? A colleague and I experimented by probing some spare high tension hammers at different points along the shoulders and sides and concluding that the best use of the pliers, if any, would be for pre-voicing pre-hung hammers…any thoughts?

The other two photos show another tool that I assume is used for voicing as well. Two of the three “crossbars” slide along the parallel “rods”. As shown in the last photo, the middle crossbar has two small needles that protrude about 2-3mm. I would be very appreciative if anyone could tell me what this is and how to use it.

Thanks,
Eric Davis, Assoc., Birmingham Chapter
Huntsville, AL

Be a better friend, newshound, and